OpenLDAP Installation
This LDAP manual is to help a new LDAP user to install OpenLDAP into their system. For your information, this installation is done using OpenLDAP 2.2.18, Berkeley DB 4.2.52, Slackware 10, OpenSSL 0.9.7e and others. In this tutorial, I will only show you on how to install Berkeley DB and OpenLDAP. No more and no less. The configuration part will come later after I finish configuring the 4 testing servers. Let's move to our main subject.How to install Berkeley DB?
1. Untar and ungzip Berkeley DB package.
$ tar -zxvf db-4.2.52.NC.tar.gz
2. Go to the build_unix directory that situated in Berkeley DB main directory
$ cd db-4.2.52.NC/build_unix
3. Configure the database. If you are not sure about the configuration, put help option after the configure command.
$ ../dist/configure --help
(this command will list all the available options for this particular configure command)
$ ../dist/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-cxx=yes --enable-debug_rop=yes --enable-debug_wop=yes --enable-java=yes
(this is how I configure Berkeley DB. --prefix option is to tell on which directory we want the files to be put. In this case, I put all Berkeley's DB in /usr and it will be sorted based on the file's function. For example, lib
4. After finish configuration, compile the packages.
$ make
5. Then install the files.
$ make install
6. You have finished installing Berkeley DB. To play it safe, refresh your library information by typing ldconfig.
How to install OpenLDAP?
1. As usual, untar and ungzip OpenLDAP package.
$ tar -zxvf openldap-2.2.18.tgz
2. Then go to OpenLDAP directory
$ cd openldap-2.2.18
3. Configure OpenLDAP
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
4. Run make command to compile the source files
$ make depend
$ make
(This will compile the source codes)
5. Make sure both commands are executed without any errors. Then install the package
$ make install
6. Run OpenLDAP test to see it can be run properly
$ make test
(This operation will run at least 21 tests (for my case and it all depending on your configuration) on OpenLDAP that you already compiled.)
Okay, I'm finished talking about installation. We will meet again and next time, I will explain on how to configure your OpenLDAP. Until then, good nite.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home